If your business does business on Facebook, you know what an important marketing tool it can be. However, what you may not know is that only a fraction of your status updates are being seen by the fans you worked so hard to get. And what do you have to blame for this? EdgeRank. EdgeRank is the formula that Facebook powers-that-be use to determine what the viewers see in the all important Newsfeed.
What Exactly is Edge Rank?
- Edge rank is actually relatively straightforward and easy to understand. Every time you have an object or status update and a user comments or likes it, they’re creating an “edge”. This includes shares, tags and comments. Each edge is made up of three parts. First, there’s the affinity score that is created by your interaction with a profile. For example, if you message with a special close friend or view your favorite clothing store’s profile often, you’re going to have a higher affinity score with that Facebooker than you would with your third cousin that you rarely see.
The second part of the algorithm is is the weight that the Edge is given. For example, a comment left on a status is going to be weighed heavier than a Like. Lastly, and probably the most obvious factor is time. The bottom line is that the older the Edge is, the less important it is. So, the bottom line is that the more people you communicate and interact with, the more who will see your statuses in their feeds.
To check your Edge Rank, please visit http://edgerankchecker.com/
How Do I Increase My Edge Rank?
Once you know there’s a method to the madness, you can actually take some pro-active steps to increase your EdgeRank and make sure your messages are seen by the majority of your fans. The formula for this is popularity, relevance and timeliness. So, how do you do this?
- Ask Questions of Your Audience – It doesn’t matter if you know the answer, or don’t care about the answer, ask it anyway! It can be simple questions like, Are you ready for school to start back? What tip do you have to make the transition easier? To relevant questions to your product, like, “Where is your favorite place to purchase (your product)?
- Fill in the Blanks – No, it’s not a test question, but it works just as well. It’s like probing the mind of your customers. An example might be, “I hope I get ______ for Christmas.” or “Tonight, for supper, we’re having ______”
- Post Pictures – They draw the eye in and invite comments. Make a cute caption that begs for a “like” or a comment. For example, “Can you think of a good caption for this picture?” or “Wouldn’t You Like to Be Here Right Now? Click like if you would love to be sailing into the sunset right now!”
- Caption This! – Find a unique picture and ask your fans to create a caption for the photo.
- Talk about News Events – Everyone has an opinion and they all want to be heard. Make a general statement about an event and watch the comments come flooding in.
By taking pro-active steps on a regular basis, you can increase your Edge Rank and make sure that your message is getting out to the masses, just as you intend them to be.